Tuesday, July 15, 2008

McCain: Don’t Pick Jindal


We will probably know each candidate's running mate within the next month or so, so now seemed like as good a time as ever to ask McCain not to pick Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal. Here are two chief reasons why this man is not worth having on the ticket.

First of all, he is younger and less experienced than Obama. If McCain's ticket is going to be based on experience, and that’s the message he plans to push throughout the campaign, it sure as hell doesn’t help to get a newbie attached to his hip. McCain's age means voters will be considering the fact that he may die in office, and thus his running mate is going to matter in his electoral campaign. He may very well replace him as the president one day, and having an inexperienced leader on the ticket isn't going to help his case against Obama.

More importantly, McCain’s VP pick is going to tell us something about the direction he hopes to take his campaign and his presidency; picking Jindal would single that he is willing to compromise important social issues to appease the social conservative base that has never liked McCain (regardless of his conservative voting credentials).

Jindal is a member of the Republican Study Committee (RSC), a group of right wing Republicans. The groups is in favor of the Marriage Amendment Act which would make gay marriage a constitutionally forbidden act, and believed the government should intervene in the Terri Shivo case. The man is a supporter of “intelligent design theories," and has advocated that they be used as an alternative theory in public science classrooms. I can’t begin to explain how how foolish this really is, and I don’t plan to debate it here. I will say that anyone who believes spiritual beliefs should replace the scientific method in a class that is based on that very procedure is a moron, a shameless politician playing to their base of support, or a deluded individual that has little understanding of what the scientific method really entails. This alone should discredit any individual from taking one of the highest positions in American life, but apparently not.

So just make the right choice John.

5 comments:

TNC said...

As we discussed on another post, neither one of us thinks Jindal will be McCain's VP. I think he would be good for the Indian-American vote but there are more crucial constituencies to woo (evangelicals and other conservative Christians) if McCain is to win.

Romney seems to be getting serious consideration. He's not my fave by a long-shot but he would definitely help McCain in Michigan and Utah.

I don't think it would be a winning ticket for McCain but (thinking ideally, not realistically) I'd like to see McCain-Lieberman. We both know that is never going to happen.

Daniel Stark said...

The only way McCain would pick Lieberman would be if Obama picked Hagel (or Bloomberg), and I don't see that happening any time soon. Most likely, McCain will pick someone who I disagree with a lot and there is no other way around that, it has to solidify the base somehow. As for who I would like to see on a McCain ticket...no clue. I really can't think of anyone.

jams o donnell said...

He sounds like a rotten choice for running mate. I don't think I would like the prospect of him running the USA if McCain popped his clogs (If McCain were to win)

NeoConstant said...

Roland--

Yeah, Creationists turn me off to the GOP. In fact the cultural conservatives are what keep me an indie.

Wasn't entirely aware of Jindal prior to this. I would LOVE a Lieberman ticket, but like tnc said, it's not going to happen. I also liked a Giuliani ticket, but again, it's not going to happen.

Other than lieberman, who do you think would make a good choice?

Roland Dodds said...

I hear that McCain may reveal his VP choice this week, and the two names I keep seeing come up are Jindal and Romney. I shudder at the prospect.