Monday, June 23, 2008

Kim Jong Il Casts His Vote


I am a bit late getting on this bandwagon, but since many of my posts concern Korea, I figured I should throw in my two cents. Over at OneFreeKorea they have a some background on the North Korean government’s favorite candidate.
“The Chosun Sinbo, the mouthpiece of North Korea’s Japanese front organization Chongryon and often for the North Korean regime itself, has announced its preference for Obama over McCain, whom it calls “a variant of Bush” and “nothing better than a scarecrow of neoconservatives.”

While I wouldn’t hold such an endorsement against Obama, I find it telling that our enemies across the globe seem to think Obama would be better for their interests than John McCain would.

Should I find it surprising that the Chosun Sinbo sounds just like the things written at the Daily Kos and Huffington Post? Who would have thought that the North Korean government saw those evil Neocons around every corner just like our resident lefties?

2 comments:

Daniel Stark said...

As much as I'm starting to dislike Obama more and more (I actually liked the guy in early 2007), I feel kind of bad for him with all of the dictator endorsements.

The whole neocon thing is now interchangeable with imperialist. I've noticed the connection for some time now when people try to define what a "neocon" means (which is usually rather vague).

As for Chosun Sinbo sounding like a leftwing blogger, I'm at a lost of words. What goes through the mind of a leftwing blogger when s/he sees this? Do they find it odd that both (mostly enemies of the United States and the leftwing blogger) use similar terms? I've always wondered this. The same goes with anti-Israeli talking points (which The New Centrist is diving into). It really boggles the mind.

Andre said...

I think the way the new American president (whoever he may be) will conduct foreign affairs will be crucial.

I'm an unflinching supporter of the war on terror and very pro-American, but I can't help but feel that under Bush, US foreign policy was somewhat shoddy, and inconsistent with certain philosophical values which make the US what it is.

The "endorsements" serve only to damage the electoral campaign. I'm surprised the media thinks they have some form of credibility. Irrespective of who is elected, what Kim Jong-Il does can never be condoned by democracies.