Saturday, June 07, 2008

And so it ends…


It is officially official: the 2008 presidential race is between Barack Obama and John McCain. Hillary Clinton gave what I thought was a very good speech today, throwing her “full support” behind his campaign. Like a lot of "conservative" bloggers, I have a lot of respect for Clinton and the way she put up with an adversarial media this primary campaign, and found a way to sound like a centrist democrat in a year where the party was rushing to its left. Perhaps it was no more than political posturing, and was no more than an attempt to say what she needed to say to get votes, but I none the less respected and supported a number of positions she came out swinging with.

To say that the campaign is just now starting is not entirely accurate, but I do think we will start to see a more united front from the Democrats against McCain, and I hope that it will galvanize Republicans to give McCain the resources he will need to win this election.

5 comments:

Daniel Stark said...

Well, we'll see. It's going to be a tough battle ahead, definitely with lack of a clear PR campaign from the McCain camp. McCain is the right candidate to be president, just not enough people know it yet. "A Leader We Can Believe In" doesn't have a ring to it and won't cut it.

Obama has the cash, image, media, the youth behind him and much more. It's going to be an interesting year.

Anonymous said...

Mccain can't raise his arms and he has a comb over. He can't win.

Roland Dodds said...

McCain’s age is definitely going to be a hindrance. While I think the rational case for McCain’s presidency can be made, putting him next to a youthful Obama on stage is probably not going to help his chances in the eyes of many Americans.

Andre said...

I set out supporting Hillary, and I still believe she is the best centrist candidate for the US presidency. With the way things turned out, we won't get to see her fulfill that role.

Obama must consider making her an integral part of his campaign - not just by making her his VP - but also by taking on some of her policies - policies which at times are far more superior than Obama's half-hearted efforts at trying to portray himself as a world leader.

I am not a conservative, however I share McCain's views of tackling environmental problems through the market, on summer fuel tax cuts and on the war on terror; in my opinion these are very pressing issues, and based on this, McCain would get my vote. Also I applaud McCain's decision to initiate some form of reform for health care - even though I'd probably go about it in a different way.

Sorry for the long comment - haven't updated my blog in a while, but I intend to keep up with what other bloggers are saying :)

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Meanwhile it looks that Obama and the Dems are better geared for the campaign. Also it may be an idle observation of an outsider.