Monday, May 26, 2008

Songs for Spring

I was tagged by Bob from Brockley a week or so back with this following meme:
“List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.”
Since I listen to a hefty assortment of music pretty frequently, this was right up my alley. Here are the tracks that are currently rocking me from left to right in a dancing-like motion that are “shaping” my Spring. All of the song links are to a Youtube video of the track, if you feel like giving any of them a listen.

1.J Dilla - “Stop!” First up is from the late, great producer from Detroit, off his Donuts record. It samples a Dionne Warwick b-side called "You're Gonna Need Me.” It’s a short track, but I can get enough of the break near the end.






2.Pete Rock - “We Roll.” Another great Hip-Hop producer, with a fine track off his newest record NY’s Finest. Although this record is about NY and its street culture, it brings me back to the Bay Area on these warm humid days sitting about the Korean mountains.





3.Tortoise - “Seneca.” A great track from one of Chicago’s best post-rock bands, from their Standards record. Nothing about it specifically reminds me of this season, but it has surely been on the deck a lot this spring.






4.George Symonette - “Don’t Touch me Tomato.” A fine Calypso track from a classic singer, singing about “tomatoes” if you get my drift. The Youtube video I have linked to hits you over the head with the message if perhaps my nuance evaded you.





5.Erlend Øye - “If I Ever Get Better.” This remix of a Phoenix song comes from the man who brought you the Kings of Convenience, and is off his mix record in the DJ Kicks line. A great Euro-dance inspired track, and sure to get even the hippest of scensters to nod along.



6.Melina Aslanidou - “To parelthon thimithika.” A remarkable talent from Greece that I discovered on one of those Putumayo world music discs a few years back, but you can also get this track on her "Pehnidi Ine" album.




7. Susana Harp – “La Llorona.” What list would be complete without a rendition of “La Llorona?” This one is from the Mexican songstress known as Susana Harp, off her first record titled “Xquenda.” A haunting rendition of a classic Mexican folk song.



Since it seems like most of my blogging circle has already been tagged, I’ll just tag Jams, Steve, and the Hydra.

3 comments:

bob said...

Fantastic list Roland. Am working my way through the YouTubes now, and "Seneca" is blowing me away.

jams o donnell said...

Wow there's some great stuff here Roland. I feel some purchases coming on perchance!

hydralisk said...

Whoah, I missed this post entirely. Though I'm not sure I could have found Youtube clips of the songs I was listening to last month.