Monday, December 11, 2006

Step to the Rhythm

When I was in high school, I became infatuated with anything British and I was buying up every British rock record I could afford. Blur, Oasis, Radiohead, and Ocean Colour Scene were all on heavy rotation, and I felt like I was getting a glimpse into a strange foreign culture. I loved the look, I loved the sound, and it seemed to me that the English did everything better.

After spending some time in England (and growing up a bit), I have come to see England as just another country with its own strengths and faults (sorry British readers!).

During this time, I was also turned on to British Drum’n’bass, mainly through Roni Size’s “New Forms” which remains one of my all time favorite records. It may not be the type of tune that reminds Gwenyth Paltrow of England, but it does define my experiences there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After spending some time in England (and growing up a bit), I have come to see England as just another country with its own strengths and faults (sorry British readers!).

If you don't take that back, we'll send the Queen round! Got a real vicious streak, she has - and the corgis to back her up.

Roland Dodds said...

Haha, I do take it back if that is the case! I plan to head back over there next year, so I will give the Queen a call and apologize in person.

jams o donnell said...

Ah Roland I am glad Matt has made you see the light!