Sunday, December 10, 2006

One Stocking Stuffer I Wouldn’t Mind



I am an ardent record collector, and I love digging through boxes of vinyl and 78s at flea markets and music shops. There is something about record collecting that makes me feel like a rare bread of historian: an individual keeping alive some person’s dream and artistic contribution to this world. It actually saddens me to think of the artists stamped onto my 78 records that are all but forgotten by modern audiences. Musicians who will likely never have their music played outside of an acute collector’s family room. That truly saddens me, but it is the way the world runs.

I figure that every 78 I put on my shelf is someone’s ambition and contribution to our society kept breathing. When I think about it that way, I feel pleased and content.

But I sure would not mind finding this copy of the Velvet Underground’s first recording! Screw stacking that bad boy on my shelf, a more financially endowed collector should have that right!

No comments: