Sunday, May 28, 2006

While I Was Away...

I was up in Maine for a few days, and hence, was unable to post. I did however read some nice books while I was away.

Them: Adventures With Extremists by. Jon Ronson

A nice easy read that documents Jon’s journey into a few extremist organizations. I am fascinated by radical groups that adhere to conspiracy theories that don’t hold up (at least in my opinion), and Ronson does a pretty good job depicting the groups he shadowed.

Wimbeldon Green by. Seth

A touching graphic novel that is both critical and accepting of eccentric comic book collectors.

I will be back to normal posting patterns come tomorrow.

5 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Jon Ronson is definitely an easy and an enjoyable read. I would also recommend his book Men Who Stare at Goats in which he deals with the wilder shores of the american military.

Also try and catch the tv series he made to accompany both books (or vice versa) if they are ever shown in the USA.

Roland Dodds said...

Thanks for the heads up, I will see if that book is at the library tomorrow. I would like to see his take on the US military, and if it is as enjoyable to read as his previous book, I am in for a treat.

Do you know the name of his show? I will search that out as well.

jams o donnell said...

He has done a number of individual documentaries but his first series (I think) was Secret Rulers of the World. Damned if I can remember the name of the second series but it dealt with oddities like the First Earth Battalion and psychic death experiments. I will rack my brains and come back to you on this

jams o donnell said...

the Second was Crazy Rulers of the World. Looking on IMDb I saw that a film version of Them is being made.. Hmmm

Roland Dodds said...

Thanks again! I will look for them in the coming week.